Monday, February 22, 2010

Learning Days: A, 1, Cows, Square


So, with lots of time alone with the kids lately, I have become desperate for things for us to do together. So after lots of thinking I decided to start a Learning Days program with them. We are starting with a 5 day a week program, just a little something each of the days. I searched and searched online for the perfect program for us, and I really like bits a pieces of many different programs. I really wanted something that would help Sissy learn, Jade is already getting a little bit from his Preschool program, but I still want him to be learning as well. So I needed something right in between.

So, the main schedule that we are going to go by though is the Letter of the Week Curriculum. And then we will add in some different art projects, and our own little personal touches! :)
Every week we will have a theme (this week was Cows), a vocabulary word (this week was calf) a letter of the alphabet, a number, an alternating shape or color, and a nursery rhyme. Each day we will focus on one aspect and review the rest all week. I'm going to try to blog at the end of each week what we talked about, and what we did.

Jade knows his alphabet completely, but I would LOVE to start working with him on writing. We haven't done that at all, so we'll see how it goes. He is definitely interested, and we had a lot of fun with A. We traced it. Tried writing it on a blank paper.
and drew A's in rice!
Sis now knows the letter A!! This is her first introduction to the alphabet, and she is SO intrigued! All week she pointed out A's that she found all over the place in books, signs, food packaging, everything. It was adorable.

The theme for this week was cows.
Our first cow project was paper plate cows. It was another first for Sis. I have never let her glue before, she did it so carefully, and loved every minute.

They turned out so cute, the kids loved their paper plate cows!!

Every week we are going to try to make an animal letter, so we at the end we can put together an alphabet book of them. This week we made an Alligator A!


Our nursery rhyme this week was Hey Diddle Diddle.

The kids both learned it, and we said it together many times all week.
So, to learn a little more about cows, and our nursery rhyme, we went for a little drive out in the country to find some cows!! After a while we had luck!!! There were some cows right by the road, so we pulled over and said hello!

Our last project of the week, was to use our shape (squares) to make a cow. Kind of a freaky looking cow, but the kids had fun! :)
So, some weeks, I'll do more, some weeks I'll do less, it will just all depend on what is going with us every week!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

We did this EXACT "preschool" at home with Ava, and we loved it!! And like you said, some weeks we did more than others. But how cute that you are doing this! I loved all of the cute crafts that you did, and that you stopped to say hello to the cows. What a good mommy you are. It's probably time to start something like this with Aidan-he would love to feel like he was big too! Oh, and i thought the square head cows were kinda cute. :)